Tamil Name - மருதம்பட்டை - Marudhampattai
Terminalia arjuna is a tree of the genus Terminalia. It is commonly known as arjuna or arjun tree in English, thella maddi in Telugu, kumbuk in Sinhala, marudha maram in Tamil and neer maruthu in Malayalam.
Coscinium fenestratum is a sturdy woody climber with leathery, shiny leaves and a brightly yellow sap. It is dioecious, flowering and fruiting in August to October. The fruits consists of one or two drupes up to 2 cm across. The plant has a generation span of 25 years
1. Arjuna bark powder is rich in saponnins, natural anti-oxidants (flavonoids) gallic acid, ellagic acid, oligomeric proanthocyanidins, phytosterols, and minerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper.
2. Regular use of T.arjuna improves the pumping activity of heart, which makes it very useful for heart weakness and congestive heart failure.
3. Arjuna improves cardiac muscle strength
4. It decrease in LDL cholesterol levels. Arjuna’s ability to suppress the blood’s absorption of lipids indicates that it has cholesterol-regulating properties. Its principle constituents are §-sitosterol, ellagic acid and arjunic acid.
5. Arjuna bark is rich in Co-enzyme Q-10 which prevents incident of heart attacks.
6. Arjuna also has a tonic and diuretic effects that benefit cirrhosis of the liver.
7. It induces a drug-dependent decrease in blood pressure and heart rate.
8. The bark of Arjuna is useful as an anti-ischemic and cardioprotective agent in hypertension and in ischemic heart disease, especially in disturbed cardiac rhythm, angina or myocardial infarction.
9. Arjuna helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness.
10. Arjuna enhances prostaglandins and lowers risk of coronary heart trouble.
11. Arjuna can relieve symptomatic complaints of essential hypertension such as giddiness, insomnia, lassitude, headache and the inability to concentrate.
12. In a study on the efficacy of the bark powder in treating congestive cardiac failure (CCF), over 40% of the cases showed marked improvement. CCF due to congenital anomaly of heart and valve disease was also brought under control. 4 out of 9 cases of CCF due to chronic bronchitis were also relieved by the treatment.